Benefits of cycling for muscles
Riding a bicycle is a unique activity and sport that is different from any other sport because of the unique features and results it provides.
In addition, you will not find another sport that achieves the aerobic activity characteristic of cycling. Likewise, the muscles used for movement while riding bicycles are many and varied.
In our previous articles, we have covered many topics about the benefits of riding a bicycle
Different parts of the body, such as the benefits of cycling for the heart, as well as the benefits of cycling for diabetics .
Today, God willing, we will present to you this article, which talks about the benefits of cycling for muscles in every detail and through the most important international studies and research
What are the benefits of a bicycle for muscles?
In order to know the answer to this question, we need to know: What muscles are used in riding a bicycle?
Lower body muscles:
Firstly, the gluteus maximus muscles: the gluteal muscles are very important while you are riding the bike, especially when you are pressing the pedals.
As it absorbs the stress on the hamstrings, which will later be transmitted to the lower back, causing subsequent pain.
Hamstrings: The muscles for the hamstrings run from your hips to the back of your leg and cross at the part
back of the knee. The movement of these muscles is important and necessary as they receive the amount of stress generated by pressing the pedals or during the process of pulling on the other pedal.
According to doctors, the times when these muscles are most active is between positions 6 to 9 during the pedaling motion, in other words, from the bottom of the pedal position to halfway up.
So weakness of the upper hamstrings around the hip as well as pulling can be common problems for cyclists.
As this study on the activity of the hamstring muscles during pedaling movement was previously published in the Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology.
- Quadriceps muscle: a group of quadriceps muscles located in the front of the thigh and activated while pressing the pedal.
- Raise of the leg (calf): It is the back part of the leg, starting from below the knee. This muscle is activated while pressing the pedal with the toes in particular. It appears with noticeable swelling in cyclists.
Tibialis anterior muscle or calf muscle: This muscle is activated during the process of returning the pedal from position 6 to position 9 that we talked about earlier.
This was according to a study in the Journal of Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy
Upper body muscles:
Of course, one of the benefits of the bicycle for muscles is to move and activate the muscles of the upper body, which are:
- In the beginning , the biceps muscle, or the so-called (Bye): It is the front muscle of the arm that extends from the shoulder to the elbow.
- Then come the shoulder muscles
- As well as the muscles of the middle part of the body. This means the abdominal muscles as well as the back muscles.
Although the stress or force provided by the muscles of the upper part is less than that of the lower part.
But it is very important for balance, especially when going up or down slopes.
Important tips for strengthening muscles while riding a bicycle:
- A static stretch means that a person stretches a muscle until a slight tension is felt and then maintains this stretch for 30 seconds or until a release of the muscle is felt.
It is considered bad before riding a bike, according to the Mayo Clinic, a medical research group, in its study .
Therefore, it is preferable instead to rely on dynamic stretching before riding a bicycle, i.e. making slow movements
on the muscles through several movements, said the experts in the Journal of Physiology and Nutrition .
- Riding a bike faster helps increase muscle strength in the lower body. Thus increasing its size and gaining a better shape.
- In the event that you go up or down the slopes frequently, this will not only strengthen the muscles of the lower part, but also works to strengthen
Significantly muscular upper body.
- One of the benefits of riding a muscle bike is to burn the fat in the muscle fibers better. This means extra energy and clearance
From grease, especially in the abdominal area as well as the buttocks. You can for more information on this topic
See our article on the benefits of cycling for the abdomen and fat loss .
The effect of riding a bicycle on the muscles:
The process of moving the muscles frequently within fixed periods of time leads to strengthening the body structure and gaining greater agility. Likewise, it also makes you have a younger biological age, in other words, you look younger
Read about our article on the importance of bicycles and their benefits for a healthy body and a strong physical structure .
In conclusion, dear reader, this distinguished article on the benefits of cycling for muscles was a motivation for you to start this sport in order to reach a strong physical structure and stronger muscles. And also a more slender body.
At My Bike Shop , you can find the perfect bike for you to get started.
Likewise, you can also ask and seek advice to choose the right bike for you, and if you like, you can read our article
How do I choose the right bike for me? For more information.
We thank you for your follow-up and welcome your comments and your visit to our store